This course is designed and conducted according to OPITO Approved Standards.
This course forms part of the common induction process, and is the minimum required standard of safety training for all offshore workers. Certificates issued by OPITO approved training centres will be accepted in all these locations.
Aims & Objectives
To ensure that new entrants to the offshore industry, and employees with offshore experience that are new to an installation, can demonstrate competence in;
- Addressing offshore safety requirements
- Controlling hazards on an offshore installation
- Acting in an emergency
- Using personal safety equipment
- Carrying out their individual responsibilities for health & safety
Course Content & Learning Outcomes
Course participants will gain a basic level of understanding and an awareness of safety & emergency procedures on offshore installations, and will be required to demonstrate their skills, knowledge & understanding in the following key areas;
- Identify offshore hazards
- Describe a permit to work system
- Explain waste disposal & care of the
- Explain procedures for reporting environment procedures incidents, accidents & near misses
- Explain PPE requirements
- Explain safety management systems
- Explain working routine & requirements for living offshore
- Actions prior to, during and after
- Practice TEMPSC / Lifeboat boarding evacuation of an installation evacuation procedure
- Tertiary escape techniques
- Rescue by helicopter procedures
- Water entry procedures
- In water sea survival procedures
- Pyrotechnics & EPIRBS
- Immersion suits & PPE
- Demonstrate basic life support techniques & treatment of hypothermia
Helicopter Safety & Escape
- Basic helicopter safety
- Helicopter travel procedures
- Helicopter emergency procedures
- Actions following a dry evacuation && equipment controlled ditching on water
- Underwater egress from a ditched / inverted helicopter
Fire Fighting & Self Rescue
- Common causes of fire onboard
- Fixed fire & gas detection & fire offshore installation fighting systems
- Nature of fire
- Actions of discovering fire
- Operation of portable fire extinguishers,
- Self-rescue techniques using smoke hoods & small bore fire hose & fire blanket escape sets from smoke & heat affected areas
- Appropriate PPE for fire fighting
Participants are required to pass a theoretical and practical assessment of their competency in each of the above areas before being awarded with a course certificate. Participants who pass the course assessment are also recorded on the OPITO Industry Database.
There are no pre requisites for participation on this course; however participants must be medically fit and capable of participating fully in the course activities. Emergency response training contains physically demanding and stressful elements, and all participants must undergo a medical examination and complete a medical screening form prior to attending the course.
Three (3) days
Certificate Validity Period:
Four (4) years.
Method of Training
This course includes theoretical and practical components.